Baker's Bagels :
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1 package yeast -- 1/4 ounce
- 1 cup chicken broth -- warmed
- 1 tablespoon honey
1. Preheat oven to 375°.
2. In large bowl combine the whole wheat flour with the yeast. Add 2/3 cup chicken broth and honey and beat for about 3 minutes. Gradually add the remaining flour. Knead the dough for a few minutes until smooth and moist, but not wet (use reserve broth as necessary).
3. Cover the dough and let it rest for about 5 minutes. Divide the dough into about 15-20 pieces, rolling each piece into a smooth ball. Punch a hole into each ball with your finger or end of spoon and gently pull the dough so the hole is about an 1/2" wide. Don't be too fussy here, the little bagels rise into shape when they bake.
4. Place all the bagels on a greased cookie sheet and allow to rise 5 minutes. Bake for 25 minutes. Turn the heat off and allow the bagels to cool in the oven.