Rastus’ Microwaved Casserole :
For a small dog, but is basically one third each of meat, veggies and rice, so quantities and cooking times can easily be adjusted for larger dogs.
- 1-1.5 kg meat (can use bite sized chunks of steak and kidney, chicken or lamb off the bone, or mince)
- 1 soup mix fresh veggie pack (carrot, celery, potato, turnip, parsnip, parsley, etc)
- Several leaves of silverbeet or spinach (optional)
- 2 cups uncooked Sungold rice (or about 4 cups cooked rice)
- Pearled barley (about one-third of a cup)
- 1 teaspoon crushed or chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon crushed or grated ginger
- Dash of soy sauce
- Dash of red wine (optional!)
- Small squeeze of tomato paste
- Few pinches of mixed herbs
Cook rice by steam method. (I do this in a microwave steamer - takes 20 minutes for the Sungold rice). Place all other ingredients (except veggies) into large covered microwave-safe dish. Mix and cook on high for 2 minutes. Repeat last step until meat is mostly cooked. (about 10 minutes if using meat chunks) Chop veggies, add to meat mix and stir well. Cook 10 minutes and stir. Repeat last step twice or until barley is swollen. Add cooked rice and mix well. Divide into portions and freeze.
If you prefer to feed raw veggies, you could puree the veggies and not add them until after the cooking is finished.
NB: (for you guys outside of Australia). "Sungold" rice is just a brand of quick-cooking brown rice