Puppy Pretzels :
• 1 teaspoon brown sugar
• 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
• 2/3 cup water
• 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
• 3 tablespoons soy flour, low fat
• 1/4 cup nonfat dry milk
• 1 tablespoon dried liver powder
• 1 tablespoon bone meal flour
• 3/4 teaspoon salt 1 egg -- beaten (1/2 in recipe, 1/2 in glaze)
• 2 tablespoons cooking oil
• 3 tablespoons wheat germ
Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water.
Combine dry ingredients. Add half of the beaten egg, oil and yeast-water mixture. Mix well.
Knead on a well floured board until dough is firm. Place in oiled bowl, cover and let rise until double in bulk.
Shape into pretzels and place on greased cookie sheet. Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 15 minutes. Remove and brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with wheat germ. Return to oven and bake at 300 degrees for about 15 minutes until nicely browned and quite firm.
Note: You may omit liver powder and bone meal flour if you have difficulty locating them.